VILLAGE OF CAMILLUS NEWSLETTER
The Village of Camillus is open M-F, 9 AM- 4 PM but occasionally closed for training classes and holidays. Village Board meetings are currently scheduled to be held @ 6 PM every first and third Monday, except for days when the office is closed for a holiday. All residents are encouraged to attend. The Village Board meeting minutes will be posted, after being approved, on the Village of Camillus website: www.villageofcamillus-ny.gov. You may also check the bulletin board in front of the Village Hall for upcoming events and communications or call 315-672-3484.
Village Hall and the Highway Department will be closed on the following holidays:
Monday, October 12, 2020 (Trash and recycling will be picked up a day late)
Wednesday, November 11, 2020 (Recycling will be picked up a day late)
Thursday, November 26, 2020
Friday, November 27, 2020
Friday, December 25, 2020
Friday, January 1, 2021
Monday, January 18, 2021 (Trash and recycling will be picked up a day late)
Monday, February 15, 2021 (Trash and recycling will be picked up a day late)
Friday, April 2, 2021 Good Friday
Monday, May 31, 2021 (Trash and recycling will be picked up a day late)
Monday, July 5, 2021 (Trash and recycling will be picked up a day late)
Trash and recycling services may be delayed one day after these holidays.
Taxes reminder: If you have unpaid taxes or made a partial payment, reminder notices have been mailed out. If you did not receive your notification, please call the Village Hall. Please note, November 2, 2020 is the last day to pay Village Taxes.
Winter is coming. REMINDER, there is NO PARKINGas follows:
Main St Every day November 1st – April 30th from 3AM-6AM
Elderkin Ave Thursdays December 1st – April 1st from 10AM-2PM
Leroy St/South Side of Main St. December 1st – April 1st NO Parking
Haney Lane Fridays December 1st – April 1st from 8AM-10AM
North St. Tuesdays November 1st – April 1st from 10AM - 2PM
Union St Fridays November 1st – April 1st from 10AM – 2PM
Vehicles need to be removed from these designated areas for snow plowing!
Reminder to keep your sidewalk area clear of snow and ice. Per local law, it is the resident’s responsibility to remove snow, ice, dirt or other obstructions from the sidewalk sufficiently to create a safe pedestrian path.
The Highway Department will snow blow Main Street sidewalks from East to West on both sides of the street as a courtesy. We will be snow blowing most sidewalks when possible.
Trash must be placed in bags in a trash can. All recyclables must be placed loosely in the recycle bin/box (NO PLASTIC BAGS). Please bring in your trash cans and recycle bins on the same days as pick up. Remember to periodically wash your trash cans and recycle bins to reduce bugs and odors.
The one ton Village truck may be rented by Village of Camillus residents for a fee of $75.00 plus tipping fees. If interested, please call 315-672-3484 or visit Village Hall during business hours for a contract.
NO ELECTRONICS may be discarded with residential trash. Televisions, computers, electrical equipment, etc. need to be properly disposed of at an approved electronics recycling facility. Electronics, excluding CRT Televisions, may be brought to the rear of Village Hall Monday through Friday during business hours by Village of Camillus residents. Materials must be intact and cannot be in pieces for the safety of the highway personnel.
We cannot take old style tube televisions, old style computer monitors, refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, tires, propane tanks and any items containing any liquid material. Please call OCRRA at 315-453-2866 regarding authorized locations for disposal.
Please place yard refuse and leaves in a container such as boxes and/or paper, leaf or compostable bags for our Highway Department personnel to pick up.
A reminder: it is illegal to place anything but clean or storm water down street drains/catch basins. All drainage ends up in Nine Mile Creek and then on to Onondaga Lake. If you do need to drain gray water, car wash water, etc. please pour the water onto your lawn or down household drains so it may be filtered before entering the water system.
OCRRA has begun charging for mattress disposal so the Village of Camillus has made the tough decision to pass the charge on to the residents. The cost for mattress disposal is $20 each with no charges for box springs at this time. If you have a mattress to dispose of please stop by the Village Hall or mail a check payable to the Village of Camillus and include your address. Once you have paid for your mattress(es), your address will be placed on the list for pick up for the number of mattresses you have paid for.
Mattresses not paid for and left by the curb will not be picked up until payment has been received. A notice will be placed on the resident’s door with instructions to contact the Village Hall to arrange payment and pick up.
OCCRA has discontinued the July battery collection (on top of trash cans) and will no longer mail collection bags to residents. Please continue to drop off your batteries at collection sites including Wegmans, Home Depot, Lowes, and Nightingale Mills. See OCRRA.org for more details and collection sites.
To refer a code enforcement issue to Codes Enforcement Officer William Reagan, please call the Village Hall at 315-672-3484 and your concerns will be forwarded to Mr. Reagan.
Saturday December 5, 2020 is the annual Village Tree Lighting at 6:00 PM. Due to COVID restrictions and safety concerns, this event may be modified or cancelled. Please the visit Village website at Village at VillageofCamillusNY.com for up to date information or our Facebook page.
HELP ANIMALS IN NEED
Help animals in need by donating your bottles and cans at the Village Hall. A volunteer redeems the bottles and cans and uses funds to purchase food and other requested supplies which is then donated to various agencies who care for animals waiting for their “forever homes”.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Please remember to lock your vehicle doors and keep valuables out of plain sight. Remember to keep an eye on your children and report any suspicious activity to the Camillus Police Department by dialing 911, as soon as possible. Be sure to include as much information as possible: vehicle color, make, license plate number, hair color, approx. age, or a photo is even better.
The Village of Camillus employees would like to wish you and your families a safe and healthy winter!
Trash and Recycling reminder of Rules as of Oct 30, 2022
- Refuse (trash) and recyclables shall be separated and placed within three feet of the street curb not earlier than 6:00 p.m. on the day before scheduled pick up and the empty container shall be retrieved by the resident on day of pick up.
- All garbage and rubbish must be placed in secure and tied plastic bags of a capacity not to exceed 15 pounds, and then placed in a durable, sanitary plastic container with a lid (trash can) manufactured for such purposes.
- No trash container shall exceed 55 pounds when filled unless the resident uses a "Tipper" type container** than may be lifter by an arm of the village trash truck.
- Plastic bags not placed in a trash can will not be picked up or disposed by the Village. - All recyclables shall be placed loose in a clean and sanitary container separately used for that purpose.
- Refuse shall be placed out for collection each week as the Village will not pick up an inordinate amount of refuse.
- The Village does not pick up or dispose of construction and demolition debris left by contractors. Homeowners can rent the dump truck for disposal of construction debris created by the homeowner. Please call the Village office for details.
- Call the Village office regarding removal of upholstered furniture - The Village will remove mattresses at $20.00 per mattress and only when prepaid at the Village office.
- OCRRA no longer accepts batteries. Please go to ocrra.org for information regarding recycling batteries.
- All loose plant clippings, leaves and small sticks must be placed in a compostable bag or a container that does not exceed 55 pounds. The Village will pick up large amount of brush; however, if requested, the Village will leave the dump truck, at no cost, to be filled with brush by the homeowner.
* For further detail, see Article 61 of the Code of the Village of Camillus.**Defined as a two-wheeled trash can with an attached lid and a steel bar in front to which the garbage truck can attach and lift.